Writing in a journal can have several benefits compared to typing on a computer or other digital device. Here are a few of the key benefits:
- Improved handwriting: Writing by hand can help improve your handwriting, which can be beneficial for both children and adults. It can also lead to better motor coordination and dexterity, which can be helpful for people who have trouble with fine motor skills.
- Increased creativity: Writing by hand can also be beneficial for your creativity. Research has shown that writing by hand activates different parts of the brain than typing, which can lead to new insights and ideas.
- Better memory retention: Studies have suggested that writing by hand can lead to better memory retention, as it requires more cognitive effort and engagement than typing. When you write by hand, you are more likely to remember the information you've written.
- Stress relief: For some people, the act of writing by hand can be calming and can help relieve stress. The physical act of writing can have a meditative quality, which can be beneficial for mental health.
- Personalization: Handwritten journals can be personalized with your own drawings, stickers and different kind of stationery which can make them more special, and can be a way to express yourself.
It is worth noting that this is not a case of one or the other, You can also use the advantages of digital writing too, as you can easily search for a certain note or tag it for future reference. It is important to use the right tool for the right job.